Cinco De Mayo (5th of May), is a holiday that celebrates the date of the Mexican army’s victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War.
To celebrate, parades are held, food is eaten and Mexican drinks are drunk.
Today we are going to show you 5 fantastic Mexican themed cocktails you can create this holiday!
1. Colour Changing Margarita
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 2 cups of sliced purple cabbage
- 4 cups of boiling water
- 4oz of triple sec
- 1 cup of lemonade
- 8oz of tequila
- 3oz lime juice
- Lime wedge to garnish
- Place cabbage in a large heatproof bowl. Pour boiling water over cabbage and let it sit until water turns blue. After 5 minutes, strain out cabbage.
- When water has cooled, transfer to ice trays, freeze until solid.
- In a pitcher, combine tequila with triple sec, lime juice and lemonade. Wet rims of glasses with lime wedge and dip into salt.
- Place purple ice cubes in glasses and divide margarita between them. Garnish with lime wedge!
2. La Piñata
- 2oz of blanco tequila
- 1oz of pineapple juice
- 0.75oz of lime juice
- 1/2oz of agave
- Pineapple wedge to garnish
- Add all ingredients into a cocktail shaker. Add ice and shake well.
- Strain cocktail over fresh ice in a glass.
- Garnish with a wedge of pineapple
- 2oz of Tequila
- 0.75oz of simple syrup
- 0.75oz of grapefruit juice
- Bottle of prosecco
- Add tequila, simple syrup and grapefruit juice into a cocktail shaker.
- Shake and strain into a champagne flute.
- Top with prosecco and garnish with a wedge of lime.
4. Jalapeño Grapefruit Margarita
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 1 tbsp of chilli powder
- 2 tsp of sugar
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups of grapefruit juice
- 1 1/2 cups of tequila
- 1/2 cup of lime juice
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 grapefruit wedge
- On a plate, combine chili powder, sugar and 1 tablespoon of salt.
- In a pitcher, combine grapefruit juice, tequila, lime juice, honey and jalapeño. Refrigerate until slightly spicy. Discard jalapeño.
- Run a lime wedge along the rim of 4 glasses and dip in sugar mixture to coat.
- Add ice to glasses and pour mixture in. Garnish with grapefruit slice and jalapeno.
5. Sparkling Wine Mojito Punch
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup of light rum
- 2 and 1/2 cups of sparkling wine
- In a large measuring cup, mix sugar with lime juice until sugar dissolves.
- Add mint leaves and muddle to mash and combine. Stir in light rum and let sit for 1 hour.
- When ready, strain into pitcher and add sparkling wine.
- Serve over ice and garnish with mint leaves.
So there we have it, 5 tasty cocktails for you to make this Cinco De Mayo! For your cocktail glassware and accessories, head over to Drinkstuff!