Cocktails recipes inspired by space!
To celebrate the New Horizons’ passing of Pluto, a NASA probe launched in 2006 as part of their New Frontier’s program, let’s do it in style with a few space inspired cocktails.
Houston we have a cocktail
- 1 part fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 part Grand Marnier
- 2 dashes of rosewater
- Add all of the ingredients (except from the champagne) into a cocktail shaker
- Shake with ice and strain into a fluted glass
- Top up with champagne
This space inspired cocktail was created by Joe Gilmore, a bartender, in the American Bar in London’s Savoy’s hotel in 1969 in homage to the Apollo 11 mission. Legend has it, this cocktail was the first drink astronauts had on their return to earth. Neil Armstrong loved it so much he sent Joe a thank you letter!
The Planetary Punch
Houston, the cocktail has landed
- 1 1/4 parts vodka
- 3/4 part melon liqueur
- 1/2 part peach puree
- 1 part orange juice
- 1 part pineapple juice
- Add all of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker
- Shake with ice and strain into a martini glass
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry
Rocket man! Sipping up his cocktail up here alone!
- 2 parts Grey Goose La Poire
- 1 part Fresh lime juice
- 3/4 parts Ginger liqueur
- 1 dash of Cardamom Bitters
- Place a large sphere of ice in the bottom of a spherical glass
- Add the ingredients to a cocktail shaker
- Shake and pour over the top of ice in glass
- Garnish with space-candy dusted grape
Skye’s the Limit
Ground control to Major Cocktail
- 40ml Talisker Skye
- 50ml Lillet Blanc
- 3 leaves of sage
- Place 2 sage leaves into bottom of a glass
- Add ice
- Add Talisker Skye and Lillet Blanc
- Stir the mixture and strain into a fresh balloon champagne saucer glass
- Garnish with the last sage leaf
And there you have it. Four beautiful cocktails to celebrate as New Horizons passing Pluto and continues into yonder. What will we discover next? Another amazing space inspired cocktail maybe?