The first of our riffs for Old Fashioned Week is the Smoking Rosemary Old Fashioned. With a great way of adding a smokey flavour to your cocktail, this is sure to impress. This recipe calls for either bourbon or rye whiskey so it’s guaranteed to satisfy everyone.
How to make a Smoking Rosemary Old Fashioned
- 60ml Bourbon or Rye Whiskey
- 15ml of Simple Syrup
- 2 Dashes of Angostura Bitters
- Orange Peel
- 2 Sprigs of Dried Rosemary
- Add the whiskey, simple syrup and bitter to an ice filled glass
- Squeeze a piece of orange peel over the glass and drop into the glass
- Take the rosemary and light it on fire
- Place the flaming rosemary over the glass, but don’t put it in the glass
- Whilst holding the rosemary sprigs over the glass cover it with a cocktail shaker tin for 10 seconds. The flame will go out and will infuse your drink with a smokey flavour.
- Take away the burnt rosemary and serve with a straw.
If you have any leftover rosemary you can add a sprig of unburnt to the cocktail for garnish.
And as always if you need any cocktail tools check out drinkstufff.com